The largest fish in the world is the whale shark or Rhincodon typus.
Important information about the largest fish in the world:
- The whale shark is found in open waters of the tropical oceans.
- They can grow to approximately 40 feet (12 meters) and weigh around 20 tons by some estimates.
- They are slow moving sharks.
- Whale sharks have very large mouths and are filter feeders and they eat mostly small organisms like plankton, small fish, and squid.
- Despite its size, the whale shark does not pose any danger to humans.
Source: oceanservice.noaa.gov, Wikipedia. Photo:Abe Khao Lak