This list of metro systems includes electrified rapid transit train systems worldwide.
- London Underground’s first electrified underground line opened in 1890, making it the world’s first metro system.
- The metro system with the longest route length is the Shanghai Metro with 588km (365mi) total length.
- The busiest one is the Beijing Subway.
- The one with the most stations is the New York Subway with 425
The 8 largest metro systems in the world based on the number of station are the following:
- New York, USA: 425 stations
- Shanghai, China: 337 stations
- Paris, France: 302 stations
- Madrid, Spain: 301 stations
- Beijing, China: 278 stations
- London, England: 270 stations
- Seoul, South Korea: 256 stations
- Moscow, Russia: 206 stations
*The above are based on data of September 2017.